You all know the expression, “When you were only a twinkle in your parents’ eyes.” A phrase that conjures up the happiness of loving parents who truly want to conceive a child. It turns out it is also a phrase that sums up the latest genetic research suggesting that parents should cultivate that twinkle in the months before they conceive a child. That growth-promoting awareness and intention can produce a smarter, healthier and happier baby.
Research reveals that parents act as genetic engineers for their children in the months before conception. In the final stages of egg and sperm maturation, a process called genomic imprinting adjusts the activity of specific groups of genes that will shape the character of the child yet to be conceived. [Surani 2001; Reik and Walter 2001] Research suggests that what is going on in the lives of the parents during the process of genomic imprinting has a profound influence on the mind and body of their child, a scary thought given how unprepared most people are to have a baby. Verny writes in Pre-Parenting: Nurturing Your Child from Conception: “It makes a difference whether we are conceived in love, haste or hate, and whether a mother wants to be pregnant…parents do better when they live in a calm and stable environment free of addictions and supported by family and friends.” [Verny 2002] Interestingly, aboriginal cultures have recognized the influence of the conception environment for millennia. Prior to conceiving a child, couples ceremonially purify their minds and bodies.
Once the child is conceived, an impressive body of research is documenting how important parents’ attitudes are in the development of the fetus. Again Verny writes: “In fact, the great weight of the scientific evidence that has emerged over the last decade demands that we reevaluate the mental and emotional abilities of unborn children. Awake or asleep, the studies show, they [unborn children] are constantly tuned in to their mother’s every action, thought and feeling. From the moment of conception, the experience in the womb shapes the brain and lays the groundwork for personality, emotional temperament, and the power of higher thought.”
We’re sorry, we know how frustrating it can be when you get cut off just as you were getting to the meaty part! We would so love to give you access to this excerpt, but just like you, we have to feed our hard-working staff and their families.
However, you can access the full article along with many other articles, audios, videos, and book excerpts in our Member’s area. Your purchase of a subscription not only enables us to take care of all the people behind Inspired Parenting; it also provides you with the best value for money you’ll ever get from any conscious parenting magazine. And the good news is, you can spread the cost of an annual subscription throughout the year.
Here’s what your IP Subscription/Membership includes:
• 4 quarterly print editions of INSPIRED PARENTING Magazine mailed to your home.
• Additional monthly digital magazines.
• Free access to all Webinars and Teleconferences featuring Q & A sessions with leading experts, plus downloads of recordings.
• Member – only libraries of articles, audios, book excerpts, podcasts, videos, and webinars.
• VIP access to twice-yearly Teleconference Summits featuring the most progressive thinkers, speakers and teachers in the areas of education, parenting, holistic, complementary and integrative medicine, psychology, neuro diversity, health and science …and more!
Your Bonus Gift Bundle comprises the following downloads:
• A digital copy of The 10 Commitments: Parenting with Purpose by Chick Moorman and Thomas Haller
• CosmiKids Coloring & Fun Book
• Sleep Meditations for Kids (MP3) by Hypnotherapist, Yoga Teacher and founder of Calm For Kids, Christiane Kerr
• Heart Centered Stories -Duke the Dog and the Killdeer Family (MP3); A Mindfulness Family Art Project Sheet: The Gifts We Give; The Melodies: Harmonies, Life Readiness Lessons for Preschoolers – Rainbow Song (MP3)
• LeGACY Wisdom Word Walks E-Book by Dr. Marshal Tongel