Most parents would never question that they love their children wholeheartedly — even when their little darling has done a lipstick drawing on the wall, won’t eat their vegies or sleep in their own bed, or thumps their brother. Even though we might get annoyed, we still love them absolutely.
However, children don’t always feel our love because ‘love’ is a difficult concept for children and even teens to grasp. In a way, children see love as connection — where they sense that you not only see them, but that you feel them invisibly and strongly.
Many people talk about having quality time with their children and, while that is a good thing, it might only come around once a week — or once a month in our busy society.
I am more inclined to recommend micro-moments of loving connectedness or building ‘love bridges’ which happen often, rather than just focusing on quality time created by an adult at a time convenient to them.
Children live in the present moment and when we come and join them, even briefly, in that amazing place it makes their hearts sing. When we can come to them and share in their childlike view of the world, children know we love them.
Many parents who have to work tell me how they struggle with feeling guilty that they are unable to spend a lot of time with their children. The same goes for those who work away from home in areas such as sales, mining or in the military.
There are many ways, some really tiny, that build a heart connection.
I was blessed to spend hours of my childhood driving around the farm with my dad as a captive audience for my endless chatter and questioning about everything. No wonder he struggled with his hearing as he got older, however I knew I was loved.
The concept of meeting children with a specific intention to nurture connection through how we interact with them comes from Canadian developmental psychologist Dr Gordon Neufeld’s work, especially his book, Hold On to Your Kids.
Neufeld believes so much of the way we live our lives today creates experiences of separation for our young children, rather than experiences that connect and bond us with our children, which he calls bridges. It is a different way of explaining ‘attachment’ or the innate need of every child to feel strongly bonded to a significant caring adult.
When this separation occurs repeatedly, children’s trust in us is broken and the relationship will be weakened. I have renamed Neufeld’s bridges “love bridges” — which build stronger heart connections with our children to ensure that they feel safe and secure within their families.
If you can keep in mind that when you are dealing with challenging behaviour in your child, your priority is to work at the relationship first and the behaviour second; this will ensure that you will be on the right track to use discipline in a way that benefits everyone…
We’re sorry, we know how frustrating it can be when you get cut off just as you were getting to the meaty part! We would so love to give you access to this excerpt, but just like you, we have to feed our hard-working staff and their families.
However, you can access the full article along with many other articles, audios, videos, and book excerpts in our Member’s area. Your purchase of a subscription not only enables us to take care of all the people behind Inspired Parenting; it also provides you with the best value for money you’ll ever get from any conscious parenting magazine. And the good news is, you can spread the cost of an annual subscription throughout the year.
Here’s what your IP Subscription/Membership includes:
• 4 quarterly print editions of INSPIRED PARENTING Magazine mailed to your home.
• Additional monthly digital magazines.
• Free access to all Webinars and Teleconferences featuring Q & A sessions with leading experts, plus downloads of recordings.
• Member – only libraries of articles, audios, book excerpts, podcasts, videos, and webinars.
• VIP access to twice-yearly Teleconference Summits featuring the most progressive thinkers, speakers and teachers in the areas of education, parenting, holistic, complementary and integrative medicine, psychology, neuro diversity, health and science …and more!
PLUS… SIGN UP NOW AND RECEIVE A FABULOUS BONUS GIFT BUNDLE WORTH $100!
Your Bonus Gift Bundle comprises the following downloads:
• A digital copy of The 10 Commitments: Parenting with Purpose by Chick Moorman and Thomas Haller
• CosmiKids Coloring & Fun Book
• Sleep Meditations for Kids (MP3) by Hypnotherapist, Yoga Teacher and founder of Calm For Kids, Christiane Kerr
• Heart Centered Stories -Duke the Dog and the Killdeer Family (MP3); A Mindfulness Family Art Project Sheet: The Gifts We Give; The Melodies: Harmonies, Life Readiness Lessons for Preschoolers – Rainbow Song (MP3)
• LeGACY Wisdom Word Walks E-Book by Dr. Marshal Tongel
Sign Me Up Now